Sunday, October 31, 2004

Oasis of the Zombies (1983)

With a title like that, can you go wrong? Well you would think that A Virgin Among the Living Dead would be awesome to, but it's the worst European zombie movie out there. The two movies are from the same director, Jess Franco, who I've discussed before in this blog.



Oasis of the Zombies

Oasis of the Zombies is miles better than A Virgin Among the Living Dead, but it's not the gore fest you would expect. Their is some munching of guts and some entrails shown, but the fans want more and I think that is the main reason the movie is not well received. As sophisticated as we horror fans are, it's fairly often the gore factor that will make or break a movie. I loved the locations in this movie, the story, the dialogue, and the zombie make-up, even though they kept showing the same zombies over and over again. (Not unlike A Virgin Among the Living Dead which not only shows the same zombies over and over, but the same scenes are repeated multiple times - granted I have only seen the cut version of Virgin which far more common than the very sexual original)

Oasis of the Zombies is not rated PG by any means, it still lets down many genre fans. I rate it slightly above average.

New feature: Cub Speaks! Since I watch nearly every movie with my girlfriend, I'm adding her commentary to the horror blog.



I agree that Oasis of the Zombies was average if not a little below. It didn't blow my mind or leave me thinking much about it after it was through. However,I must say that the highlight of the movie was the zombie makeup, especially the skeletal one with the eye popping out, that is some good shit.

thank you cub.

Oasis of the Zombies review at braineater.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a cool blog! Is that really you in that picture, Cub? You're hot!

warrenzone said...

that's my ex, she wrote a lot for this blog a couple years back...

-warren