Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The Mafu Cage (1978)

Cub was worried this was going to be one of my crazed ape-on-the-lose movies, but I assured her, this looked to be a weird one we would never forget. In this rare movie, a mentally ill girl, Sissy, demands a new 'Mafu', an ape companion. It seems she has killed all the other Mafus. Well I would not have given her a new one, but Sissy cuts herself, so to stop further mutilation and suicide, a large ape is brought in. This ape is beaten to death with a chain in an unconvincing scene that at least makes it obvious that there is no any animal cruelty in this movie. The animal actor, an orangutan I believe, does not get much screen time As you should have guessed, for the rest of the movie, trapped humans become Sissy's Mafus.


"...a terrifying love story" it says, I would not call this one a "love story", sorry


Cub, what would Warren prefer, a movie where humans kill apes called Mafu, or a movie where apes, bigfoots, and the wearbear, team up to kill humans?

I know you my dear pretty damn well and I know that you would prefer to watch a movie where the apes and bigfoot team up and kill humans as opposed to the humans killing the Mafus. I mean, where's the fun in humans killing apes?

Can we build a Mafu Cage in our apartment?

No, we can not build a mafu cage in our apartment because I may be all too tempted to put you in it when you are really naughty!

Cub, what is your new nickname for me?

Your new nickname is Mafu :)

2 comments:

Novice said...

THAT is refreshing. You guys are cute without being nausea inducing!

Elizabeth Brady Cabot Winslow? said...

I just saw The Mafu Cage the other day. You hit the nail on the head in regard to that "chain whipping" scene. Every time they'd cut back to the Orangutan being "beaten," he looked like he was playing with a banana his trainer was dangling over his head.