Saturday, July 22, 2006

"It's a jaw-dropping catastrophe"

So says Atlanta Journal-Constitution reviewer Eleanor Ringel Gillespie about M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water, but the quote could also apply to my trip to Comic-Con this morning. Despite waking up at 4:30 this morning and thinking I had everything planned out, I did not pull it off. I was outside of the Convention Center at 9:30, on time, but still in my car, and was not able to have the car parked until a few hours later when the scheduled times for my interviews with Samuel L. Jackson and Snakes on A Plane director, David R. Ellis, had passed. The New Line people called me a few times wondering where I was and I explained that I was there and not there at the same time - cars were not moving, it was just a complete jam. I'll have to write the promotions people a letter of apology. The will probably be the last time New Line hooks me up with anything, but obviously I did not deserve this interview opportunity or else it would have happened, right? See I'm not bitching. What happened, happened. Now forgive me as I bitch about it a little bit...

What I did after I parked was return to my car and drive the fuck out of San Diego. Why I would do this immediately following a four hour drive is hard to explain, but here goes. I had not paid to get into Comic-Con yet and was facing a fifty yard nonmoving line ahead of me. It had been extremely painful sitting in the car watching the clock go by as my interview times came and went - they were roundtable interviews and could not be rescheduled. I was not feeling the Comic-Con spirit or the Comic-Con love. I was alone and down everyone else was in big festive groups. I did not have on elf ears or a fury amine tail and as you can see these excuses could go on forever. My choice was to drive back to Hollywood making it so that I drove from 5:30 in the morning until 1:50 - really going nowhere. A shit day to the max and that's the story.

Anyway, I don't write blogs for the perks, but this one would have been nice. I bet I can get New Line to send me a tape of the other interviews so I can report on it anyways for you guys.

The good news is that the Captain Ahab video for 'Snakes on the Brain' is done and I love it. In fact, securing this video this morning at an editing facility in Venice Beach - the director finished it at about 5:30 after working all night - was part of the reason I was late. Taking the chance on showing this video off to people at Comic-Con was why I took the poorly calculated list. So, I've watched it about a dozen times. I'll have a lot more to say when it is playing on the web so this news is premature. I just want you guys to get excited for it.

Some people evidently had just as bad a time at the Ahab shoot as I did sitting in my car outside of Comic-Con. A few posts ago I wrote about finding an
article in a local free weekly about the shoot. Well in this issue some letters to the editor badmouthed the scene. Check them out - link - or read below, but don't pay it too much mind - these guys could not have seen an of the footage or final product.

Snakes & Spelling Mistakes (the letters' headline given by this weekly - I would not make fun of people's spelling mistakes for obvious reasons)

I was at the shoot [re: “Snakes on the Brain,” vol. 5 no. 33], and this is the lamest video ever, and that ugly chick that balances the can of MGD on her butt is the trashiest thing I have ever seen. Everyone in this vodeo should get a realy life [sic] instead of trying to win some white trash award.

-Tony McGullen

I agree with Tony. Everyone in this vodeo should get a realy life [sic].

-DG3

No comments: