Saturday, August 12, 2006

coffee drinking mania 2 fuels my defense of Rick Sloane - Hobgoblins (1988), Visitants (1987)

First you say, why is there a need to defend director Rick Sloane? From what? From the nerd militia, the Mystery Science Theater fans and their "witty" leaders - the twats. Evidently this interview ran on MST3K - or it is a piece of fan fiction, how the fuck should I know, I don't watch that show - and I would not put it past these fans to write lame fan fiction starring their favorite characters - the twats.

Reason 2, Hobgoblins sits on the
imdb bottom 100 at #48. Why, cause the bots said it should be there. All of the early user comments read like "I saw the version on MST3K, the only version anyone should watch..."! There you go, they rate it one star ("7 stars for MST3K version, oh those bots...") and then it's on the charts for people to Netflix it with low expectations.

Problem, Hobgoblins rocks. The puppets are awesome and only a few steps down from The Ghoulies. Also, it is funny. Sure the movie has it's quirky problems, Rick Sloane, the writer as well, was responsible for Visitants (not on DVD) - a comedy that was unable to deliver a single funny moment, but Hobgoblins is miles better than Visitants. For one, Hobgoblins humor is all about sex. For two, the characters is Hobgoblins, while stereotypes, are consistent and funny - Visitants did not succeed in that respect. For three, Hobgoblins is not boring and boring is what the bottom 100 should really be about. The biggest crime of all is to be boring and forgettable, a true waste of time.

By the way, there is a
MST3K fanboy messageboard that is named The Mind of Rick Sloane. When I checked it out today there were 16 viewers, that's 15 dorks and me. Get me out of there!

I truly hope some MTT3K fans find this post and try to gang up on me as the whole lot shares one brain. Fuck you all.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is the 3rd post in a row I've written on Hobgoblins. We will now be taking a break from the subject of Hobgoblins and Rick Sloane, but let it be known, this movie is fun. It was directed, written, edited, and produced by Rick Sloane, so all respect is given to Rick Sloane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read some comments that I aggree with and someone who also hates the MST3K Cult followers. I don't hate the show, I don't think it's that funny but I don't hate it, but I DO hate all the followers who automattically downvote anything featured and never see it on it's own merits.

I'll have to pick up a copy of Hobgoblins.

Anonymous said...

Remember bloggers need sex too!

http://bloggersex.com/