Tuesday, August 30, 2005

susceptible...

About twenty minutes into The Brothers Grimm yesterday I found myself thinking, "what a terribly awful film, why the hell was it that I wanted to see it?" I racked my brain, but I could not remember why. Then came a scene where two of the Brother's funny-voiced friends were hung upside-down, above boiling oil, with cases of snails strapped to their head. The sight and sounds were so familiar, like they were in a movie I'd seen. Ah.... much like that Baron Munchausen movie I liked as a kid! That was it, I remembered that I wanted to see this movie because Terry Gilliam (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Time Bandits, Twelve Monkeys) was the director!

From that point one, scenes that otherwise would have got under my skin, were charming to me because I knew it was the Terry Gilliam style. So, though I say I "tell it like it is" and am not swayed by hype, I saw myself move from disliking a movie to thoroughly enjoying it when an outside factor, in this case the hip director, came into play. So I'm pretty much full of shit, sorry.

At least I still hated the Stepford Wives remake when I found out it was directed by Frank Oz of The Dark Crystal and Little Shop of Horrors (1986) fame. Some crap is just crap.

No comments: