Sunday, February 27, 2005

Slave of the Cannibal God (1978)

Directed by Sergio Martino, I've mentioned him in this blog before. Anyway, I'm glad that neither he, nor anyone involved in the making of this film, got any money as a result of me buying a 'public domain' DVD copy of the movie.

As everybody knows, I have a deep interest in horror movies. I collect obscure stuff, write reviews, have my own theories, I read tons about it, and plan to someday become an expert in the field. Some of my friends that are horror fans are among the smartest people I've met. We could have conversations that rival those of the sharpest brain surgeons... well not really, but we do seriously examine the subject.

Why is it then, that there are so many boneheads among casual horror fans? They want to see Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Chucky, more straight-to-video Hellraiser sequels, horror movies based on video games, and probably even another movie directed by Dee Snider. Yes, stupid shit all around, but my real contempt is for the true losers who want to see graphic footage of people really dying. It is sick to laugh at the stuff, but also very brainless. Can't you picture Beavis sitting on his couch laughing at a film of a woman getting hit by a train?

I've got some of those documentaries, a Faces of Death tape, Death Faces, Shocking Africa, and Brutes and Savages, but all of them I got in box lots on ebay and I don't watch any of them. It's one thing to see this kind of stuff with the intent to learn about atrocities and hopefully be inspired to make some sort of difference in the world. It's another thing to just get a kick out this shit and take joy in someone else's ultimate misery.

With that said, I don't like it when movies create this kind of 'mondo footage' to make for more shocks, though fortunately, I don't suppose it ever happens anymore.


On a lighter note, here is my tribute to the horror fan gone wrong... aka A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT! some new jack from France.


Interests: horror movies, slipknot, 666, serial killers, piercings, death metal, satan, ozzfest, mtv2 headbanger's ball, metalcore, tattoos, goth chicks, weed, manson, korn, cky, 420, faces of death, absinth, black metal, hitler, my chemical romance, drugs...

No comments: